Saturday 11 October 2014

Message from the New Board Member

Damian Austin: Director, Head of Trade Finance Syndications, Corporate Banking Origination, Barclays


I was delighted to be voted onto the ITFA board last month and I am sorry I was unable to attend the conference. As most of you will know, I was otherwise engaged having become a father for the second time, so had a valid excuse for my non-attendance

I am very pleased to be given the responsibility of looking after the ITFA Regions, something I am hoping to bring energy and drive to. Having been an active participant in the market for nearly 20 years, I will look to bring the knowledge and industry contacts I have gained during that time to the table.

For me personally, the ITFA represents a voice across the industry and wider trade finance markets and is a platform not just for marketing and networking but also thought leadership, promotion of best practice and personal and professional development.

So what is on my agenda at this time? Like many of you, ongoing and ever-changing banking regulation is a key focus for me. These proposed regulatory changes may result in a number of unintended consequences for the trade finance industry, and it is therefore essential for us to have a voice as an industry around such matters.

ITFA has therefore taken the initiate to help lead discussions and provide support in lobbying on several regulatory topics including Dodd Frank and Capital Requirements Regulations (CRR) under CRD IV, both of which have specific reference to ITFA members. I would therefore encourage all members to reach out to ITFA, through their Regional Committees, when such issues arise.

With best wishes 


Damian Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment